Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Church for the Outcasts


I am writing this article on Christmas Day from the family violence shelter where I work . When I’ve told people I would be working the morning of Christmas Day, many have made comments about how unfortunate that is. And while it is true that it would be nice to spend actual Christmas morning with my own family, I also do not have many regrets about working today. As I pass by our clients this morning and wish them a Merry Christmas, I am reminded that it is so easy for our society to neglect those on the margins.

I was recently discussing with one of my colleagues how we don’t get many requests at Family Abuse Center for presentations during December. I joked it was because no one wanted to think about depressing things like domestic violence and abuse during this time of year that is filled with lights, carols, and cookies. But, I believe there is some truth to that comment. And perhaps we should do more reflection on these topics, especially at this time of year.

The truth is not everyone can celebrate the holidays with their families, and some don’t even have families to celebrate with. The mothers and women at our shelter here won’t be spending their Christmas with parents, siblings, or other relatives. Some of them don’t even have any real family to speak of.

And yet, I am observing something beautiful this morning. Although placed in less than ideal circumstances, these women and children are becoming family to each other. They are joking and laughing with each other. Kids are playing with new toys thanks to the generosity of countless community members who donated gifts this year. We even busted out Legos and games for the adult clients to play with.

And I’m reminded that this perhaps is a better reflection of Christmas than all the lights, sights, and smells. Christmas is not about spending time with family, per se. It’s about a King who called us all together as family. It’s not about gifts or shiny trinkets, it’s about a Savior who was born for the lowly, poor, and broken.

As we begin this new year, I pray that the church would remember this truth. As she marches out from Christmas, may her feet find themselves situated in the footsteps of a Lord who remembered the outcasts of this world. May she love the loveless and downtrodden. And may Christians not just do these things when it is convenient for us, but also when it costs us something. May we have the mind of Christ every day of the year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment